Best thing to do this week: Adrian@fiftytwo.co.za
- Genre: Rough it – Relax it
- What: On a clear day you can see (from most good vantage points in Joburg) the Magaliesberg Mountain range – stretching for 120km from Bronkhorstspruit to Rustenburg. Amongst this mountainous zone you’ll find ample hiking routes – the tough and temperate – as well as peaceful retreats and spas to stay at. The Mountain Sanctuary Park offers 1000 hectares of land to get lost in with natural pools and endless vistas back home. The Mount Grace Country House (with decked out interiors and hushed surrounds) is the hideaway we suggest you take refuge at after your vigorous day’s hike.
- FiftyTwo review: Mountain Sanctuary, although sparse, impacts with wacky rock formations and far stretching plains – the terrain is unique and dotted with natural rock pools (these pools do however attract the general visitor). The bonus of this sanctuary is it affords the opportunity to mark trails which shoot you far from the designated paths – you can feel quite vulnerable and alone especially when thunderstorms start rolling in around you. Great exercise with deserved relaxation is a win for both the lady and gent so we urge you to move onto Mount Grace for a night of excess. Plush finishes with mountain views. Raging fireplaces with four course meals. Heated rock pools and indulgent wine lists. Lush lawns and a hidden mountain spa. Now’s the time to chill.
- Tip: Rough it at Mountain Sanctuary before relaxing at one of the most stunningly set natural spas – your long overdue full body massage won’t get better than this. We highly recommend you enquire as to what specials are running at Mount Grace, out of season is usually the budget friendlier time to go.
- Interesting fact: The Magaliesberg are among the oldest mountains in the world, almost 100 times older than Everest.
- Where: On the R24 – from Joburg, Mountain Sanctuary is on the other side of the mountain range (give yourself a good hours drive to get there). Mount Grace is just out of Magaliesberg Town.
- Book: Always book ahead – for MS call 014 534 0114 or click on www.mountain-sanctuary.co.za for more info & for MG call 021 430 5302 or click on www.africanpridehotels.com/mount-grace-country-house-and-spa for more info.