Maboneng Precinct continues to expand
In 2008 Managing Diretctor and developer Jonathan Liebmann purchased the old DF Corlett Construction offices and warehouses and worked with architect Enrico Daffonchio on converting them into the space that is now Arts on Main – a mix of galleries, [Goodman Gallery, David Krut, Seipel, Goethe Institut] private artist studios, [Kentridge, Leiberman, amongst others], advertising agencies and retail spaces.
Main Street Life
The company’s next major development was Main Street Life, which transformed a 1970s industrial building into a mixed-use complex with studio, 2-bed apartments and penthouses. Features include creative workspaces, retail shops and a restaurant, independent cinema, a rooftop events venue and a boutique hotel. The 12 Decades Johannesburg Art Hotel is situated in Main Street Life and consists of 12 rooms conceptualized by some of South Africa’s most celebrated artists and designers to represent the past 12 Decades of Johannesburg’s History.
Arts on Main and Main Street Life all form part of the development of the ‘Maboneng Precinct’ and the latest addition is Revolution House which will provide larger open plan residential spaces as well as commercial spaces including band rehearsal rooms and film studios. For the months of June and July, Maboneng Precinct is offering these spaces for free for shoots, rehearsals and recordings so that they can get public feedback – great initiative.
- “Circle” starring Tau Masermule at POPArt 8- 12 June 2011, at 7: 30pm After sell out performances around the country, Tau Masermule is bringing his one man show “Circle” to POPArt. “Circle” follows the life of a young man, Michael. It is deep yet comical and promises to be a brilliant evening’s entertainment.
- Encounters Documentary Film Festival 10- 16 June 2011After a very successful 2010 festival, The Bioscope is proud to welcome back Encounters in 2011. The festival will run from the 10th to the 26th June, with all screenings taking place at 8pm. Download the full program on www.thebioscope.co.za
- Some of the artworks in Main Street Life:
- MSL rooftop: Sculptures by Barend De Wet
- Hotel Floor: “12 Decades Photowalk” JHB photowalkers
- Floor 6:
- “Narciso Road, Eldorado Park” Raymond Marlowe
- “Curvi Linear” Leon Krige
- Floor 5:
- “Between Heaven & Earth” Marcus Neustetter
- “Taxi Crash” Gordon Froud
- Floor 4:
- “Making order out of Chaos” Bronwyn Lace
- “Faces of Maboneng” Rudi Jeggle
- Floor 3:
- Furniture Design by 4WhiteWalls & Ethno
- “Urbanet” Hobbs/ Neustetter
- “Human Jewels” Daniel Selibe
- “Present Disappearance” Lehlogonolo Mashaba
- Floor 2:
- “Look” by Anisa Mpungwe & Robyn De Klerk
- “Huisgenoot: 1972” Hannelie Coetzee
- Entrance: “Public Perception” Andrew Robertson
- Floor 5:
Every Tuesday night at Pata Pata Restaurant there is jazz from 8pm