International guests at Liz at Lancaster often ask about where to go to eat really local food. In this age of globalization and fusion food, there are few options. But here’s a fun one with a difference – real street food – a tshiya nyama meal along with local jazz and art work at The Braai Shack (TBS). It’s located on Tyrwhitt Avenue in Rosebank just up from the corner of Keyes Avenue, in the new, bright red B2 building. See http://www.rosebank.co.za/view/index/the_braai_shack/62/1/139
The opening of the Gautrain station at Rosebank is beginning to make a difference to people who want to stay in the Parks region of Johannesburg (the greater Rosebank Region) despite doing business further afield. A guest staying at Liz at Lancaster at the moment is working at a corporate office in Isando but did not want to stay over in the east near the airport. He takes the Gautrain daily from the Rosebank Station to Rhodesfield and then gets a lift from a colleauge from the office nearby the station – 25 minutes door to door. Increasingly it seems the Gautrain will be used by commuters so it’s a pity that the opening of the Rosebank to Joburg Central link is delayed (now not due to open before April 2013) See http://www.rosebank.co.za/view/index/gautrain_to_open_soon/62/1/139
The AA’s assessor visits anually to monitor and check on the standards of the Guesthouse. Nothing escapes Bev Balusik’s eagle eye! Here are some comments from her report submitted to the board of the AA Quality Assurance:
Such seamless but thoughtful touches in all areas:
- a splendid, attractive notice board in main core public area
- guest internet station provided
- high attention to energy-saving measures including solar geysers, CFLs, solar garden lighting, water-saving shower roses, etc.
- generous provision of heating, a real plus for travellers including under-carpet heating
- complimentary bottled water & quality home-baked crunchies, Liz’s own muesli & a delightful easy-pour honey tube on breakfast tables
- breakfast room with LED DSTV
- easy instructions for complimentary internet access in rooms
- various menus, maps, evacuation & fire procedures in all rooms, quality paper holder, recycling info on waste bins
- generous DSTV in rooms
- fridges stocked incl fresh milk, and so on.
Really excellent & indicative of high levels of general efficiency. The exceptional provision of guest comforts for both leisure & corporate guests and the high standards of personal yet professional service and hospitality continue to set this establishment at an exceptionally confident Superior level.