Mercury and Venus in the night sky
Watch Mercury overtaking Venus early evenings this week. As it starts to get dark, look over to the west for the very bright “evening star” – Venus. Venus is so bright it can be seen in twilight. As the earth turns you will see:
- Mercury appearing as a relatively bright ‘star’ below left of Venus
- first Mercury then Venus setting
- Jupiter rising above the eastern horizon as another extremely bright “star”
If you watch this over the next two weeks, you’ll notice the movement of the planets: Mercury will move upwards each evening towards Venus, then appear to reverse and move back down towards the horizon.
- Friday evening (28th Oct) look out for the young crescent Moon above Mercury and Venus.
Happy planet gazing
With thanks to the Joburg Planeterium for the info.
Good theatre currently showing in Joburg
Jozi has some great theatre and live shows at the moment.
- Saw ‘Chilli Boy’ last week. An old play back for a re-run, but missed it last time around- very funny one-man comedy, amazing acting performance. Runs till 6th Nov.
- Completely different was ‘The Girl with the Yellow Dress’ (again a re-run which first opened at the Grahamstown Festival in 2010) – powerful drama showing at the Market until 11th Dec.
- Am looking forward to the ‘Kiss of the Spiderwoman’ – the 1st time this 1980s award winning Tony play has been performed in Joburg. On at the Joburg Theatre for a very short run from 26/10 to 6/11.
And guests from the UK staying at Liz at Lancaster couldn’t believe how cheap our theatre tickets are. The exhange rate helps, but we still offer excellent world class theatre and ridiculously reasonable rates.
Posted in Entertainment: Theatre, booklaunches, expos, events
Tagged Chilli Boy, Craig Higginson, Joburg Theatre, Kiss of the Spiderwoman, Liz at Lancaster Guest House, Malcolm Purkey, Market Theatre, Newtown Johannesburg, The Girl with the Yellow Dress