Westcliff historical walking tour
- What? Westcliff Historical Walking Tour
- When? Sunday Morning 16th October at 10 Am.
- Where? The tour starts from The Ridge School. No booking necessary.
- More info: You’ll see buildings such as:
- Glenshiel designed by Baker for Sir William Dalrymple and his wife
- the Hope School, Pallinghurst Rd
- The Stables also designed by Baker for Raymond and Hope Schumacher.
- How much? Great value at R40 per person
- What more must I do? Join and enjoy the lovely weather and signs of the first Jacaranda buds
Guests staying at Liz at Lancaster used to live in South Africa but have now emigrated. When they lived in Johannesburg they had a house on Pallinghurst Rd, so they are very excited to join this tour and revisit their old ‘hood.
What makes Rosebank special?
What makes Rosebank so different from say, for example, Sandton.
Sandton’s leisure and shopping area is focused on the huge enclosed megamall of Sandton City and the central space of Mandela Square modelled on an Italian piazza. Rosebank however has a greater variety of smaller malls linked by open air areas each with its own different identity.
Several adjoining malls
- There is the Rosebank Mall with its now famous Rooftop Market on a Sunday and Craft market all week. Cinema Nouveau in the Mall has fabulous arthouse movies
- The Zone is renowned for hip urban fashion designers and Bollywood movies as well as all the mainstream blockbusters.
- The Zone 2 behind the Holiday Inn house many eateries at piazza level
- Behind the Hyatt Hotel and linked to it, is the exclusive Firs shopping mall.
Lots of open space and pavement style cafes
What makes this such a fun urban area is the way in which these malls all interlink with open spaces filled with stalls, open-air eateries, gently flowing fountains and interesting arcades. One of the many eateries is Koi – a specialist seafood restaurant in the arcade outside the Firs corner Cradock and Bierman Avenues, Rosebank 011 447 2440. There is easy close parking at the Galleria Rooftop parking in Cradock Street right opposite Koi.
So close to Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
Liz at Lancaster is a mere 4km from the Rosebank Gautrain Station and guests staying here often spend their last day shopping in Rosebank because of the wide choice of stores and the fabulous outdoor bistro style restaurants. We also often have conference delegates who do not have the budget for the hotels and prefer to stay in guesthouses nearby.
Rosebank is the business and shopping hub of the Greater Rosebank Region.
Posted in Joburg and surrounds: things to do and see
Tagged Cinema Nouveau Rosebank, Conference accommodation near Rosebank, Eating out in Jozi, Holiday Inn Rosebank, Hyatt Hotel, Khoi Restaurant Joburg, Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, Rosebank, Rosebank Craft Market, Rosebank Gautrain, Rosebank Mall, Rosebank Rooftop Market, The Firs Rosebank, The Zone Rosebank