Live HD screening of the NY Met Opera Season
Opening today with Das Rheingold, the first in Richard Wagner’s epic four-part Ring cycle, the Live in HD season closes in mid June 2011 with The Valkyri, the second in Wagner’s Ring cycle. The new production of Das Rheingold is conducted by James Levine and directed by Robert Lepage with Welsh bass-baritone, Bryn Terfel appearing in the leading role of Wotan. It has very complex set that uses advanced technology and is apparently the most challenging staging the Met has ever produced.
Some of the operas in this season are Met premieres, some brand-new Met productions and some revivals from previous seasons. The Metropolitan Opera productions are recorded live on stage at The Met and are screened to movie audiences around the world, reaching some 1 500 theatres in 46 countries.
It seems (according to a Beeld article) that the order and dates of the 12 operas are:
- Wagner’s Das Rheingold (opening opera) From 5th Nov
- Moessorgski’ Boris Goedenof From 19th Nov
- Donizetti’s Don Pasquale From 10th Dec
- Verdi’s Don Carlos From 7th Jan
- Puccini’s La Fanciulla Del West From 4th Feb
- John Adams’ Nixon in China From 4th March
- Gluck’s Iphigenia and Tauride From 25th March
- Donizetti’s Lucia Lammermoor From 8th April
- Rossini’s Le Comte Ory From 6th May
- Strauss’ Capriccio From 20th May
- Verdi Il Trovatore (no date given)
- Wagner’s Valkyrie which ends on 10 June