The NY Metropolitan’s Live in HD opera season starting Friday 16th November. The 8 operas will run for about 7 days each at Cinema Nouveau in Rosebank starting on Friday and running through till March next year.
- November 16th with Donizetti’s L’Elisir d’Amore. Anna Netrebko sings the role of Adina and Matthew Polenzani the role of Nemorino.
- Opening on 30th November, Verdi’s Otello features South African’s tenor Johan Botha and Rene Fleming takes the role of Desdemona.
- Opening on 14 December is the season’s modern opera, The Tempest by British composer Thomas Ades. Director Robert Lepage recreates the interior of 18th Century La Scala including the complicated machinery that operated beneath the stage . I’m intrigued to see how this is handled.
- December 29th sees the start of Mozart’s final opera La Clementina di Tito featuring the tenor Guiseppe Filianoti, soprano Barbara Fritolli and Mezzo Elina Garcia.
- On January 18th Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera opens.
- Aida returns to the screen on January 25th
- The screening of Berlioz’s Les Troyens opens on February 8th. Marcello Giordani is Aeneas, Deborah Voight is Cassandra and Susan Graham is Dido. This is a long opera – 5 hours and starts with the wooden horse outside the gates of Troy.
- Rigoletto is due to be screened in March – date to be advised.