BUYING ART AND ARTEFACTSNewtown, Braamfontein, Melville, Rosebank and its fringes host many of the cultural hotspots of Jozi. (Most Galleries are closed Sundays and Mondays) For up to date news in the local arts scene go to www.artslink.co.za; The Mail and Guardian has an arts section in its Friday Supplement.
The "Art Strip" in Parkwood and Parktown North:
- Goodman Gallery 51 Chester Rd cr Jan Smuts Ave 011 788 1113 www.goodman-gallery.com
- A real must-do is Kim Sacks Gallery for exquisite African art and artefacts. (even if just to look!) www.kimsacksgallery.com 153 Jan Smuts 011 447 5804
- Hadeda 151 Jan Smuts Avenue Parkwood (Importers of artefacts from South and Central America)
- David Krut 140 Jan Smuts Ave 011 880 4242 Excellent publisher of local contemporary art books as well as running a very good print studio www.davidkrutartpublishing.com
- Everard Read 6 Jellicoe Ave Rosebank 011 788 6805 www.everard-read.co.za
- Circa which is linked to the Everard Read and is across the road; a must see contemporary gallery space. If you can, don't miss the view from the top floor
- Gallery Momo, 52 7th Avenue, Parktown North www.gallerymomo.com
- Arts on Main in the east of Joburg's CBD. A creative hub , newly opened in 2009 where several of the leading contemporary art galleries have satellite premises (Goodman, David Krut, Goethe Institut, amongst others). And of course William Kentridge has his studio there. www.artsonmain.co.za
- Art Africa, Parkview 62 Tyrone Ave Parkview (very good selection of ethnic artefacts and gifts; really great stuff) 011 486 2052
- Piece is a great craft/décor/gift store which specializes in exquisitely crafted handmade items. There is an outlet at Shop 5 The Firs Cradock Avenue Rosebank (next to the entrance to the Hyatt Hotel).
- Amatuli regularly gets shipments in of artefacts from countries to the north of us in Africa. www.amatuli.co.za 6 Desmond Street, Kramerville JOHANNESBURG t+27 11 440 5065. Opening times Mon-Fri 8.30-5.30; Sat 9.00-2.00; Every Sunday 10.00-2.00