Buying Art and Artefacts
Newtown, Braamfontein, Melville, Rosebank and its fringes host many of the cultural hotspots of Jozi. (Most Galleries are closed Sundays and Mondays)
For up to date news in the local arts scene go to www.artslink.co.za; The Mail and Guardian has an arts section in its Friday Supplement.
The "Art Strip" in Parkwood and Parktown North:
- Goodman Gallery 51 Chester Rd cr Jan Smuts Ave 011 788 1113 www.goodman-gallery.com
- Kim Sacks 153 Jan Smuts 011 447 5804
- Hadeda 151 Jan Smuts Avenue Parkwood (Importers of artefacts from South and Central America)
- Art Space 142 Jan Smuts Ave www.artspace-jhb.co.za
- David Krut 140 Jan Smuts Ave 011 880 4242 Excellent publisher of local contemporary art books as well as running a very good print studio www.davidkrutartpublishing.com
- Everard Read 6 Jellicoe Ave Rosebank 011 788 6805 www.everard-read.co.za
- Circa which is linked to the Everard Read and is across the road; a must see contemporary gallery space. If you can, don't miss the view from the top floor
- Gallery Momo, 52 7th Avenue, Parktown North www.gallerymomo.com
- Arts on Main in the east of Joburg's CBD. A creative hub , newly opened in 2009 where several of the leading contemporary art galleries have satellite premises (Goodman, David Krut, Goethe Institut, amongst others). And of course William Kentridge has his studio there. www.artsonmain.co.za
- Art Africa, Parkview 62 Tyrone Ave Parkview (very good selection of ethnic artefacts and gifts; really great stuff) 011 486 2052
- Upstairs @ Bamboo, Melville cr 9th and Rustenberg Rd Melville (There is a great eatery below called the Service Station - help yourself to fabulous salads and goodies and then get your plate weighed).
- Art on Paper, 44 Stanley Ave. www.artonpaper.co.za 44 Stanley Ave has become a hub for the alternative fashion scene and for new media fundis. There are also small funky laid back bistro-cafés that have live music over week-ends.
- Zuva Gallery, Melrose Arch . Melrose Arch is an urban development favoured by the bling-loving upwardly mobile wealthy status seekers.
- In Toto Gallery is a new gallery in Birdhaven Tel: 011 447 6543 www.intotogallery.co.za
Caters to established art collectors and newcomers to the art scene.
- Brodie/Stevenson Art Gallery in Braamfontein focuses on contemporary art pieces. www.brodiestevenson.com