Eating out in the Parks of Joburg
There is a huge variety of eateries in Joburg with each neighbourhood having its local favourites. Although there are 2 websites where you can find restaurants' details and reviews:
these sites list restaurants alphabetically which makes looking for local restaurants more difficult and of course the lists tend to be long with way too much choice. But they are useful for finding a specific restaurant.
Local is lekker: eating out in Craighall Park and neighbouring suburbs
There are several excellent restaurants close to Liz at Lancaster all in Craighall Park
For recommended neighbourhood restaurants in neighbouring suburbs of Parkhurst, Parktown North and Greenside click here.
- Toni’s Pizza – is a 3 minutes’ walk from Liz at Lancaster. Great deck for summer outdoor eating. Excellent pizzas and they sometimes do a ‘to-die-for’ nougat dessert. Open Tuesdays to Saturdays 12.00 to 21.00 and Sundays 12.00 – 15.30 Tel 011 447-1318
- Cnr Café - Corner Buckingham and Rothesay Aves 2 and a half blocks away; closed Sundays evenings 011 880-2244 Excellent food and nice outside pavement venue and of course very convenient . Consistently voted one of Joburg’s best neighbourhood restaurants
- DW 11-13 in the Dunkeld West shopping centre is one of only 3 Gauteng restaurants to make it into the top 20 restaurants nationwide Eating Out awards. We have regular foodie guests who come all the way from Pretoria to have a a meal at DW 11-13.
- Pronto At the nearby Colony Centre; Outstanding Italian menu with tables outdoors; great pastas. 011 447 4346; Open every day for lunch dinner except closed Sunday and Monday evening
- Also at the Colony is Hodges a family run relaxed outdoor café and coffee bar which is a great summer venue for lunches and light evening meals
- Also in the Colony is an Indian restaurant Red Chilli Spice 011 447 8386
- Giles - Has become a very popular meeting place, especially on Thursday evenings and for those TGIF evenings after work - either in the pub or to have a meal out on the deck. Congenial home fare. 011 442-4056
- Osteria Tre Nonni - popular Italian restaurant; 9 Grafton Ave, next door to Giles 011-327-0096 Acoustics make it quite noisy so try to go in summer and sit outside. Ask to see the specials menu.
- Burnsides Café - 6 Burnside Ave Craighall Park Owner run and located in a converted home, enjoy a small seasonal menu in a tranquil environment with low noise levels. Open Tuesday to Saturday; Sundays Lunch only 011 326-3970
- Modo Mio - 339 Jan Smuts Ave Good Italian fare, reasonably priced with an affordable R40 a bottle corkage fee. Open Monday to Sunday 079 343 6729
More on Eating Out