Eating out near Liz at LancasterThere is a huge variety of eateries in Joburg with each neighbourhood having its local favourites. Although there are 2 websites where you can find restaurants' details and reviews:
Local is lekker: eating out in Craighall Park and neighbouring suburbs
There are several excellent restaurants close to Liz at Lancaster all in Craighall Park
- Toni’s Pizza – is a 3 minutes’ walk from Liz at Lancaster. Great deck for summer outdoor eating. Excellent pizzas and they sometimes do a ‘to-die-for’ nougat dessert. Open Tuesdays to Saturdays 12.00 to 21.00 and Sundays 12.00 – 15.30 Tel 011 447-1318
- Cnr Café - Corner Buckingham and Rothesay Aves 2 and a half blocks away; closed Sundays evenings 011 880-2244 Excellent food and nice outside pavement venue and of course very convenient . Consistently voted one of Joburg’s best neighbourhood restaurants
- DW 11-13 in the Dunkeld West shopping centre is one of only 3 Gauteng restaurants to make it into the top 20 restaurants nationwide Eating Out awards. We have regular foodie guests who come all the way from Pretoria to have a a meal at DW 11-13. Dunkeld West Shopping Centre Cnr Jan Smuts Ave and Bompas Rd +27 11 325 2843 www.dw11-13.co.za Open daily lunch and dinner daily except Sunday evening and Mondays.
- Pronto At the nearby Colony Centre; Outstanding Italian menu with tables outdoors; great pastas. 011 447 4346; Open every day for lunch dinner except closed Sunday and Monday evening
- Also at the Colony is Hodges a family run relaxed outdoor café and coffee bar which is a great summer venue for lunches and evening meals. In winter it's warm and toasty inside with the wonderful aroma of coffee and baked goodies. They make a great Sunday lunch roast. Highly recommended +27 11 880 5010
- Also in the Colony is an Indian restaurant Red Chilli Spice which serves North Indian dishes is upstairs in the Colony +27 11 447 8386
- Giles - Has become a very popular meeting place, especially on Thursday evenings and for those TGIF evenings after work - either in the pub or to have a meal out on the deck. Congenial home fare. 011 442-4056
- Osteria Tre Nonni - popular Italian restaurant; Acoustics make it quite noisy so try to go in summer and sit outside. Ask to see the specials menu. 9 Grafton Ave, next door to Giles +27 11-327-0096
- Burnsides Café - 6 Burnside Ave Craighall Park Owner run and located in a converted home, enjoy a small seasonal menu in a tranquil environment with low noise levels. Open Tuesday to Saturday; Sundays Lunch only . Need to book in advance for evenings. +27 11 326-3970
- Modo Mio - 339 Jan Smuts Ave Good Italian fare, reasonably priced with an affordable R40 a bottle corkage fee. Open Monday to Sunday +27 79 343 6729
- If you want a great cup of coffee and a good bistro salad or light meal, join the creative on their laptops at Warm and Glad. The tagline of this local coffee shop says it all: ‘food, media, culture’. 357 Jan Smuts Ave (cnr St Albans Rd) +27 11 781 0455 www.wamandglad.com Closed Sundays open other days and Thurs & Fri evenings till 8.
- If you’re staying at Liz at Lancaster with children then Delta Café is a must. Located next to the garden nursery and on the edge of Delta Park, it has a small playground which is ideal for younger kids and a great menu for kids including boiled eggs with soldier toast!! If you just want to chill in a quiet laid-back outdoor environment there’s lots of choice on the menu for adults. It’s only a 5 block walk from Liz at Lancaster.
More on Eating Out
- African style cuisine Read here
- Indian and Chinese cuisine in Joburg Read here
- Restaurants for those special occasions Read here
- Eating out in Joburg's Inner City Read here
- Sushi and fish restaurants Read here
- Local vegeterian eateries Read here