Joburg & Kids
For ongoing and current activities for children see the excellent website www.jozikids.co.za
In addition to this there are some standard attractions for children:
- Johannesburg Zoo: cr Jan Smuts and Upper Park Drive; As zoos go the Johannesburg Zoo is very good. There are night tours to see the nocturnal animals and there is the standard farmyard for small children See blog post here 5 and 10km walks through the Zoo every 2nd Sunday of the month; open daily www.jhbzoo.org.za 011 646 2000
- Feed the ducks at the Zoo Lake (Lower Park Drive, Parkview) before a meal at Moyo's
- Gold Reef City in addition to being a theme park experience of early Johannesburg, has a fun fair. However some of the rides are quite scary so the children cannot be too young. Also children under 6 cannot go on the mine tour. www.goldreefcity.co.za ; Week day rates: R100 Adults; R220 Jozi's Story of Gold Heritage Tour; R140 children under 6 and excludes the Mine Tour
- National Children's Theatre The website www.jyt.co.za is not kept up to date so it is best to check current productions at www.jozikids.co.za or phone on 011 584 1584/5
- Joburg Planetarium Travel with Thomas the astronomer in his giant rocket, to the game reserve, then on to the Moon and beyond! Show Times: Saturdays 10:30 For 5 to 8 year olds; Cost: R18 per person 011 717-1392 www.planetarium.co.za
- SciBono Discovery Centre; Closed Mondays; visited a lot by local school children and according to a Canadian guest who is a curator of science exhibitions for young people, it is well worth a visit. 011 639 8400 www.sci-bono.co.za
- Creative workshops for children are run at Seedpod Studio in 4th Ave, cr 11th St, Parkhurst 011 447 - 0006 www.seedpod.com.
- Smudge is a children's art centre in Craighall Park, Johannesburg. Built around a central art room, Smudge also offers an interactive music room, children's book lounge, fantasy dress-up area, party room and a coffee shop. Tuesday-Friday, 10am-5pm, Saturday 10am-4pm & Sunday 10am-1pm. Open on all public holidays except Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday. Closed on Mondays. Entrance is R100 for the FIRST HOUR and R50 for every hour thereafter inclusive of all art materials. The children take home everything they make. 21A, Valley Centre, 396 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park. Tel: 011 501 0234 www.smudgeart.co.za
- At Hedgehog Lane there is a fairground open 9-5 every day. Lots of activities include a ferris wheel, merry-go-round, sandpit, trampolines, a miniature Hedgehog Express train, and a mini bike track. There are also workshops with arts and crafts activities during school holidays. And there is a kid's hairdresser on site. 278 Main Road Bryanston 011 463 8692 www.hedgehoglane.co.za
- The Bird Garden at Monte Casino has shows twice a day at 11 am and 3 pm 011 511 1864 www.montecasino.co.za
- At the Rhino and Lion Park out in the Cradle there is an animal crèche and a reptile park. 011 957 0109 www.rhinolion.co.za
- There is a show of the Lipizzaner horses every Sunday at 10.30 ; From time to time, there are special performances (e.g. Valentines Day, Mothers Day etc) Cost R100 per person. After the show you can meet on the stable courtyard and feed the horses. 1 Dahlia Rd Kyalami 011 702-2130 www.lipizzaners.co.za
- Ice skating at the Northgate Ice Arena 011 794 - 8706
- There are activities like rides on a small train as well as pony rides at the Lifestyle Garden Centre on Beyers Naude Drive 011 792 5616. Plus there is a really excellent restaurant with lovely outdoor eating area surrounded of course by the lush nursery contents.
- Around the corner from Liz at Lancaster is The Pear Tree where mothers (and fathers?) can go with toddlers and young children for supervised play activities. Mums can work, have a beauty treatment or simply enjoy a quiet cup of coffee while watching the children in the playground. Check their website for details including prices www.thepeartree.co.za 41 St Albans Avenue, Craighall Park Tel: (011) 781-0682
- There is a great children’s playground at Delta Park. Take Craighall Road in Victory Park which leads straight to the Environmental Centre and you will see the playground on your right.