Joburg for KidsFor ongoing and current activities for children see the excellent website www.jozikids.co.za
In addition to this there are some standard attractions for children:
- There is a great children’s playground at Delta Park. Take Craighall Road in Victory Park which leads straight into Delta Park and to the Environmental Centre and you will see the playground on your right.
- On the Craighall Park side of Delta Park (5 blocks from Liz at Lancaster) is Delta Café which has a great kids menu (including boiled eggs and soldier toast!) plus a small play area with slide, climbing equipment, swings, etc. Sometimes the horses graze in neighbouring Delta Park
- Another park with a kids playground is at Hugh Wyndham Park (4 blocks from Liz at Lancaster)
- Johannesburg Zoo: cr Jan Smuts and Upper Park Drive; As zoos go the Johannesburg Zoo is very good. There are night tours to see the nocturnal animals and there is the standard farmyard for small children See blog post here 5 and 10km walks through the Zoo every 2nd Sunday of the month; open daily www.jhbzoo.org.za 011 646 2000
- Feed the ducks at the Zoo Lake (Lower Park Drive, Parkview) before a meal at Moyo's
- Gold Reef City in addition to being a theme park experience of early Johannesburg, has a fun fair. However some of the rides are quite scary so the children cannot be too young. Also children under 6 cannot go on the mine tour. www.goldreefcity.co.za ; Week day rates: R100 Adults; R220 Jozi's Story of Gold Heritage Tour; R140 children under 6 and excludes the Mine Tour
- National Children's Theatre The website www.jyt.co.za is not kept up to date so it is best to check current productions at www.jozikids.co.za or phone on 011 584 1584/5
- Joburg Planetarium. 5-8 year olds can travel into space with Thomas the astronomer in his giant rocket Travel. For show times check www.planetarium.co.za
- SciBono Discovery Centre; Closed Mondays; visited a lot by local school children and according to a Canadian guest who is a curator of science exhibitions for young people, it is well worth a visit. 011 639 8400 www.sci-bono.co.za
- The Bird Garden at Monte Casino has shows twice a day at 11 am and 3 pm 011 511 1864 www.montecasino.co.za
- At the Rhino and Lion Park out in the Cradle there is an animal crèche and a reptile park.
011 957 0109 www.rhinolion.co.za
- There is a show of the Lipizzaner horses every Sunday at 10.30 ; From time to time, there are special performances (e.g. Valentines Day, Mothers Day etc) Cost R100 per person. After the show you can meet on the stable courtyard and feed the horses. 1 Dahlia Rd Kyalami 011 702-2130 www.lipizzaners.co.za
- Ice skating at the Northgate Ice Arena 011 794 - 8706
- There are activities like rides on a small train as well as pony rides at the Lifestyle Garden Centre on Beyers Naude Drive 011 792 5616. Plus there is a really excellent restaurant with lovely outdoor eating area surrounded of course by the lush nursery contents.
- Outdoor activity park in Melrose www.acrobranch.co.za. Supervised canopy swinging with zip-lines, obstacle courses and other adventures. The Yellow course for kids from 3 and the Green course for kids from 7 upwards. www. http://acrobranch.co.za/outdoor-activity-parks/johannesburg/ tel:+27 (0) 869990369
- www.avalanche.co.za Enjoy Skiing, Snowboarding and Bumboarding and Tubing on a 65 meter ski-slope+27 (0)11 467 2426 Cedar Square Shopping Centre Fourways
- Seedpod Studio for mosaicing workshops inside the Broadacres Garden Centre cnr Cedar & Valley Rds Fourways +27 11 465 0375 HOURS: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, Sundays & Public Holidays 9am-3.30pm www.seedpodstudio.co.za
- Putt-putt or mini-golf at Brightwater Commons in Randburg or Fourways Mall open Daily Tel +27 11 788 3282 www.adventuregolf.co.za