Parks and open spaces
- Join Delta Park walkers on a conducted walk from Delta Park on the 3rd Sunday of every month for about 2 hours from 8 -10 . Afterwards - tea/coffee and muffins. Road No 3 Victory Park Johannesburg or walk down 5 blocks from Liz at Lancaster; More www.footprint.co.za/deltapark.htm Clive Fletcher 082 688 1879
- The Zoo Lake: a lovely Park area across Jan Smuts Ave from the Johannesburg Zoo. After public holidays and even Sundays before the litter has been cleared, it can be quite tacky, so avoid these days. If you have children feed the ducks and then have lunch or a drink at Moyos outdoor restaurant 011 646 7758
- Emmarentia Dam and Botanical Gardens (still no action group organizing walks but a lovely park and open area.)
- Witwatersrand Botanical Gardens: Malcolm Road, Poortview 011 958 1750 www.sanbi.org. Far out, at least an hour's drive from Liz at Lancaster but well worth a visit if you are here for a long stay and like the outdoors. Take a full morning minimum. There is a lovely waterfall and walk up to the viewing point to see a pair of nesting black eagles.
- Melville Koppies Judith Rd Emmarentia Johannesburg: Open days: 2nd & 4th Sunday: 8.30am; Adults R20, kids R10; 1st & 3rd Sunday: 3pm Wendy Carstens 011 482 4797 Guests are taken on a 1 hr guided walk followed by a stroll down to the spruit. The whole route through the 50 hectare reserve takes about 3hrs.; bring water bottle, hat, good shoes. For full programme of all the different events (and there are lots) see www.mk.org.za/mkcal.htm.
- Walk at The Wilds An informal group walk at The Wilds. Park and meet at St John's College's secure parking, end St Patrick Rd, cnr Houghton Dr (M31S). Good walking shoes. Distance 4km, 2hrs, every Sun of the month except 5th sun. www.wildswalk.co.za
- Johannesburg Zoo: cr Jan Smuts and Upper Park Drive 5 and 10km walks through the Zoo every 2nd Sunday of the month www.jhbzoo.org.za 011 646 2000