Entertainment & Nightlife
For daily updates of what's on in Jozi go to www.702.co.za and www.artslink.co.za
- The two 'doyens' of Joburg Theatres are the newly branded Joburg Theatre Complex and the Market Theatre
- Joburg Theatre Complex in Loveday St, Braamfontein, comprises 4 theatre spaces: The Mandela, capacity of 1000; The Fringe seats 250 ; The Peoples, seats 175 ; and space.com an alternative variable 'black box' space. 011 877 6800 www.showbusiness.co.za. Most of the extravaganza shows are held at the Mandela Theatre although some are staged at the much smaller Teatro at Monte Casino. There is a News Café in the foyer but this gets packed before performances. Try to book on 011 877 6847
- Market Theatre Complex Achieving international recognition in the 1980s as the theatre of the struggle, the theatre opened in 1976. There are also several theatres in this complex: The Main theatre; the Laager and the Barney Simon For what's up and coming see www.markettheatre.co.za 011 832-1641 or 082 381 0663/4/5.
- Teatro Montecasino, Fourways is a private independent theatre owned by Pieter Toerien, one of South Africa's foremost theatre impresarios. Set in the completely 'faux' Tuscan village (hotel, casino and shopping mall) there are 2 theatres in the complex - the Main Theatre known as the Teatro which stages popular musicals as well as some Broadway hits such as Cats and the Lion King and the Studio Theatre where comedy farces are the usual fare 011 511-1988 www.montecasinotheatre.co.za
- Old Mutual Theatre on the Square, Mandela Square 011 883-8606 (next to Sandton City) is another independent theatre (with sponsorship from the banking giant Old Mutual). Typically stages local comedies and musical revues as well as some drama. Like the Teatro at Montecasino, the audience tends to be very mainstream. www.theatreonthesquare.co.za
- The Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City attracts a mainstream audience who seem to want slapstick comedy and populist musical reviews. 011 248- 5000 www.goldreefcitycasino.co.za
- Victory Theatre in Orange Grove has shown the African hit musical Umoja as well as shows like Rocky Horror. There is a restaurant there but apparently the food is very bad. So rather go to the Radium down the road on Louis Botha and have great chicken livers or Portuguese chicken and then go on the theatre. 011 728-9603 www.victorytheatre.co.za
- There are two Barnyard theatres, one in Cresta (011 280-4370) and one at Broadacres in Fourways (011 467-6983). Here one ideally goes along in a party of friends taking supper in a picnic basket as there are long wooden tables arranged around the stage. The shows tend to be popular family entertainment musicals. www.barnyardtheatres.co.za.
For more alternative theatre and live entertainment
- Wits Theatre, Wits University. Based on the University of the Witwatersrand (wits) East campus, the complex consists of the Wits Downstairs Theatre, The Wits Amphitheatre and the Wits Main Theatre. Have excellent avant-garde often unpublicized productions as well as old classics like Chekov and Shakespeare. Check www.wits.ac.za/placesofinterest/witstheatre
- Dance Factory at 1 Goch St in the Newtown Cultural Precinct 011 833 1347. there are often performances of both local and international dancers - mostly modern contemporary. Poorly advertised, the best way to find out what's on is to check the Mail and Guardian weekly arts and entertainment supplement.
- The Linder Auditorium in Parktown is host to 4 X 6 week seasons a year of classical concerts where the Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra (JPO) performs. www.jpo.co.za 011 789 2733
The Joburg public is notoriously fickle, so places come and go, in and out of fashion with lightning speed. So check beforehand if these are still happening places.
Find a good list of a range of night clubs and bars with live music here
There are a few others to add to this: There are a lot of trendoid clubs which are tend to be out in Fourways, Rivonia or Sandton area - place such as
- Moloko www.molokojoburg.com;
- Movida www.movida.co.za;
- Shoukara, Rivonia;
- Su.Da.Da. Sandton;
- Manhattans www.manhattanclub.co.za;
- Cubana www.cubana.co.za
- Exception is Inc.The Club www.inctheclub.com in Braamfontein as well as
- The Bank According to their website: www.thebankbar.co.za
The Bank caters for upmarket socialites and trendsetters (needless to say I have not been here) who are discerning about music, people, fashion and fun. Located in Lower Rosebank at Parklands Centre Keyes Ave their phone number is 011 268-0389.
- Capital Music Café is another trendy night spot very close to The Bank 011 880-0033. Their website lists the music offered as Wednesdays Acid Jazz, Thursdays R&B, Friday Lounge Groove and Saturdays
- Latin Groove. www.capitalmusiccafe.co.za
- Sophiatown 011 836-5999 or visit www.sophiatownbarlounge.co.za
- No.1 Central Place, cnr Jeppe and Henry Nxumalo Sts Newtown. African restaurant and cigar lounge for late night functions. Open daily. Nikki Temkin in her book Chic Jozi describes Sophiatown as a 'laid-back black diamond [the wealthy black upper class] enclave' where 'Afro-pop and Afro-jazz reign supreme'. See blog post: here