There is shopping and there is SHOPPING .. to the everyday and ordinary shopping first.
Liz at Lancaster is very conveniently located for general access to local shopping and amenities. There are several local shopping areas within easy reach.
- The closest is half a block away: corner Lancaster and Clarence, a three minute walk. There is a Spar general grocer open 7 days a week, a greengrocer, hairdresser, takeaway pizzeria, chemist, dry cleaner and doctor.
- At the Dunkeld shopping centre: corner Jan Smuts and Bompas, there is a whole range of shops including an Autobank, a bakery and coffee shop, a hardware, a 7/11, a liquorstore, and the well renowned restaurant DW11-13, etc.
- And then slightly further in the other direction is the Colony shopping centre which also has a number of stores including a pub, restaurants, excellent DVD store, etc.
- Liz at Lancaster is close to the restaurant nodes of Parkhurst, Greenside, with easy access to Rosebank and Melville.
There are several major shopping malls close by all of which have restaurants, movies, bookshops and a wide selection of department stores.
- Hyde Park www.hydeparkshopping.co.za; probably the most exclusive centre with boutiques, upmarket gift stores, Charles Greig Jewellers and lots of glamourous ladies who 'lunch'. Airy and well-lit.
- Rosebank Mall linked to The Zone, The Firs, The Galleria, The Mews, www.themallofrosebank.co.za. Although there is great variety of stores and options, Rosebank Mall (known as the Mall) is not overwhelming in size and there is a very pleasant open area on the 'west' or Oxford Rd side of the Mall next to the Zone, where there are nice 'pavement' cafes and eateries. Great for people watching. Cinema Nouveau in the Mall has great art movies and more independent movies plus of course shows the HD Opera series from the NY Met. Plus there is the African Craft Market open every day and the Rooftop Market open Sundays. The Zone is targeted to young fashionistas and trendoids. Local fashion brands such as YDE, Stoned Cherrie, Sowetarto, Pure Solid and Sun Goddess; the movie house there shows a lot of Bollywood movies.
- Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square www.sandton-city.co.za Sandton is a huge megamall. A flagship of Jozi malls but not my favourite because of its size and being so completely enclosed with no external light source. But, like Hyde Park, very glam shops.
- Killarney www.killarneymall.co.za. An excellent local mall of manageable scale.