Transport & Car Rental
Getting around JoburgJoburg is very spread out with no single city centre but rather a number of different areas and neighbourhoods. However Craighall Park is very centrally located for easy access to the central suburbs and areas of Rosebank, Sandton, Randburg and Joburg Central. Read more
Guest comment on Tripadvisor
- Located in the middle of a lovely street in a suburb of Johannesburg, we were 20 mins from anywhere we wanted to go.
Stay June 2011
On-site transportZac Gumbo who works at Liz at Lancaster is a registered transport provider and is available for on-site transport and airport transfers.
Guest reviews on Tripadvisor speak for Zac’s services
- Zac provides transportation to and from almost any venue you desire and his caring reliability is outstanding!
Stay June 2011
- Zac was an awesome driver, picking and dropping us in Joburg, always with a smile.
Stay Sept 2010
(subject to change due to fluctuating rising petrol prices and the introduction of toll road costs)
- Airport transfer (one-way) : From R420 for up to 2 people; R50 per extra person.
- Sandton, Wits, Braamfontein & Newtown - R80
- Rosebank including the Gautrain Station - R60
- Dunkeld and the Colony Centre - R30
- Hacklebrook Conference Centre & Hyde Park - R35
- Parkhurst & Parktown North - R40
- Johannesburg Central Business District - R90
- Arts on Main - R100
- Apartheid Museum & Midrand - R170
- Sunninghill, Woodmead and Monte Casino - R150
- Minimal surcharge of R35 for after-hours restaurant collection (After 9).
For any trips of over 30 km Zac charges an hourly rate of R100 as well as R4.50 per km. So for example a half day excursion to Lesedi (10.30 to 2.30) would be R400 plus R4.50 X 84 kms= R378; a total of R778. And the Cradle of Humankind for a full day trip of 6 hours and approx 100km would be R1050.
High speed train to and from the airport.For a single person the Gautrain is a very practical way of getting to the airport from Liz at Lancaster. It is fast, safe, clean and efficient.
- Weekdays Peak periods 05h30 to 08h30 | 16h00 to 19h00 Every 12 mins
- Weekdays off peak 08h30 to 16h00 | 19h00 to 20h30 every 20 mins
- Weekends: every 30 mins
- Cost from OR Tambo is R135 per person plus R13 for the Gautrain card
- Zac’s charge to Sandton is R80 for the trip
- Time of train trip is 12 minutes
- Cost to OR Tambo is R145 per person plus R13 for the Gautrain card
- Zac’s charge to Rosebank is R60
- Time of train trip is 16 minutes but need to change trains at Sandton
- Car Parking: Open from 05h00 to 21h00, seven days a week
Gaubuses operate between Sandton and Rosebank weekdays only
For general information on the Gautrain see www.gautrain.co.za/about/
Johannesburg taxi servicesThere are NO roaming taxis that can be 'hailed' from the roadside. Although locals use mini-bus taxis, these are largely unregulated and require too much local knowledge to be used by visitors. . Except for outside hotels, there are very few places where you can hail a taxi in the street. It is best to call and book in advance. Many taxis do not use meters, so arrange a price at the start of your trip. From Sandton City to Craighall Park you can expect to pay anywhere from R180.
The following taxis run on meters:
- Rose Taxis +27 11 403 0000 (metered) www.rosetaxis.com
- Orange Taxis 0861 700 222 or +27 76 205 8031 www.orangecab.co.za
- Quick Cab +27 76 043 3617 or +27 73 447 2595
- Zebra Cabs 0861 105 105, www.zebracabs.co.za
- Uber Taxis - Apart from using Zac’s services, the most cost effective and efficient option is Uber. You will need a Smart phone to download the Uber app www.uber.com which puts you in touch with the nearest available taxi, takes payment via credit card, enables you to check your route and receive reliable arrival times.
Air travelThere are 2 international airports serving Johannesburg. O.R. Tambo on the east of Johannesburg (39km from Liz at Lancaster) and Lanseria Airport to the north (24km from Liz at Lancaster) . If you are travelling internally you need to be at the airport an hour before take-off time and if travelling internationally then you are required to be there 2 hours before take-off.
The restrictions for cabin baggage are as follows:
- 1 bag + laptop for economy class passengers
- 2 bags + laptop for business/ first class passengers
- Weight of each bag may not exceed 7kg Total dimensions of each bag may not exceed 115cm (56cm + 36cm + 23cm).
Car RentalsMany visitors rent a car, although driving in Johannesburg is a challenge with bad traffic delays, poor road signage and traffic lights frequently out of order! However for local trips and long stays, self-drive is a good option.
There are many car rental companies operating from the airports where all the major international brands such as Hertz, Europcar, Avis, Sixt etc are represented as well as Budget, Tempest and more. There are also a number of car rental companies based outside the Gautrain station in Sandton as well as Rosebank.