Greater Rosebank Region and what it has to offer
… with thanks to the 2009 November issue of House and Leisure (page 140). Of the ten reasons to visit Johannnesburg, seven are in the Greater Rosebank Region. The other 3 are: Joburg CBD, including Arts on Main, and the Cradle of Humankind. All are close to Liz at Lancaster. The 7 in the Rosebank Region are listed by House and Leisure (with different numbering) as:
1. The Joburg Zoo 011 646-2000 Upper Park Drive Forest Town www.jhbzoo.org.za 54 ha home to 365 species of animals R41 adults; R23 kids and pensioners ; night tours at R70
2. A Sunday walk at Emmarentia Dam Olifants Rd Emmarentia 011 782-7064 Take a picnic to the rose garden and then join Jozi-ites and their dogs in a stroll round the various dams
3. What House and Leisure calls the ‘steak corner’ Cr of 7th and 3rd Ave Parktown North (only Joburg has an address of corner 7th Ave and 3rd Ave .. go figure?!) There are 3 excellent steakhouses all within a stone’s throw of each other: Turn ‘n Tender 011 788 7933 ; The Local Grill 011 880 1946 ; Wombles 011 880 2470
4. The Park Café Parks Shopping Centre cr Wells Ave and Jan Smuts Parkwood 073 444 1700 For the best breakfast in town
5. Rosebank’s hot new night club: The Bank 9a Parklands Keyes Ave Rosebank 083 354 4456 Get out your bling and boogey the night away. For a change of scenery go to Moloko around the corner 160 Jan Smuts Ave 011 447 1082
6. 44 Stanley Ave Milpark 011 482 4444 Great open air centre, full of character and individuality (I’m allergic to enclosed mega-malls) with designer shops, wonderful coffee shop (Bean) and chilled outdoor/indoor restaurants : Il Giardino as well as Saigon Pho for Vietnamese food
7. Athol Place 90, Pretoria St Atholl 011 783-3410 Treat yourself (from R2,500 per night) at this chic boutique hotel
Location! Location! Location!
So the Rosebank Region is not only centrally located but is also home to the parklands and green spaces of Jozi’s suburbs, and has many character-filled neighbourhoods with shops and eateries in open-air spaces. And Liz at Lancaster is slap bang in the middle of the Rosebank Region … Location! Location! Location!