48 Hours in Joburg: what to do and see
FiftyTwo:21 48 hours in Joburg Genre: Tourist Guide to your own city
- What: What’s different to do and see in Joburg in 48 hours.
- Drink here: Darkie Café is the go for early Friday drinks, this is urban cool when busy. Move onto Narina Trogon, a hip Braamfontein eatery serving unusual fare. The upside – there’s a great gallery above the restaurant and your booking might coincide with an exhibition.
- Eat here: Vovo Telo, artisan bakery – a working bakery that serves the freshest breads – the smells wafting around are nothing short of addictive.
- Exercise here: Jog the Westcliff stairs and sightsee the world’s most beautiful Rand Lord houses, every home would be granted ‘The Hamptons’ stamp of approval.
- Hang here: The rooftop of the Lister Medical Building screens gobsmacking documentaries and sport. With views onto gold mines, Africa’s highest skyscrapers, bright lights, Church steeples, mountain ranges and city life – it is hard to stay away. The most vibrant late night boogying and live music promises crowd delight.
- Adventure here: Take your flask and hot water bottle (if you’re smart), to the Northcliff viewing platform. The ‘romance’ of Joburg is felt as the sunrise scatters across the largest man made jungle.
- Get physical here: Cycle along the banks of the Braamfontein Spruit, from Emmarentia through to Riverside, you won’t quite fathom the emerald green river banks nor the inner city bike route.
- Listen here: On the first Sunday of each month, the Radium Beer Hall presents a Fat Sound 19 piece jazz band which beautifully compliments the venue. All music appreciators are welcome from the oldies to youngsters. Feel at home, leave all pretences back in Sandton.
- Tip: Use the 48 hour guide and become a smart tourist in your own town – if you happen to meet or host foreigners over this period, this guide will take them on a 360 tour of the world’s most underrated city. It starts here…
- Interesting fact: Joburg’s oldest pub (the Radium Beer Hall), opened as a tearoom in 1929 and in its double life it served as a shebeen.
- Darkie Cafe (10 Anderson Street, CBD)
Narina Trogon (81 De Korte Street, Braamfontein)
Vovo Telo (44 Stanley Avenue, Milpark)
Westcliff stairs (Wexford Avenue, Parktown West)
Lister Medical Building & Intermission Gallery (19th Floor, 195 Jeppe Street)
Northcliff’s ridge (Lucky Avenue, Northcliff – aim for the water tower)
The Radium (282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove)
Table bookings are needed for the Radium – call 011 728 3866, www.theradium.co.za and Narina Trogon – call 011 339 6645, www.narinatrogon.com
Thanks as always to Adi for this review