A photographic feast in Joburg
For anybody interested in photography there is currently quite a feast at Joburg’s art galleries :
- Starting in the south east of Joburg Central at Main Street Life Entrance Gallery is an exhibition of the photographic works of Dan Rosenthal and Andrew Sprawson opening 30 July . For more information: www.hiddengallery.org
- Gary Schneider’s show Skin opened on Thur 28 July and shows until 10th September at David Krut on Jan Smuts Ave
- Andrew Tshabangu’s exhibition of photographs of Kibera Nimoja an informal settlement in Nairobi Kenya opened at Gallery Momo Parktown North on 28 July until 22nd Aug For more see http://www.gallerymomo.com/images/stories/press/Andrew_Tshabangu_Press_release.pdf
- Entitled Giverny of the Midwest Nathaniel Stern’s exhibition of performative digital imagery is to be opened by Prof Jeremy Wafer of the Fine Arts Division Wits School of Arts at 2pm on Saturday 30th July at AOP 44 Stanley Ave; Walkabout with the artist on 4th August at 18.00. Closes 13 August
- Zanele Muholi’s exhibition entitles Ikanyiso shows at Brodie/Stevenson in Brramfontein from 7 July until 5 August. Click here for more information.
- Transience opens at In Toto Gallery on 4th August at 6 pm. In his exhibition Michael Meyersfeld observes and explores ephemeral moments and scenes that often go unnoticed by the ordinary passerby through his contemporary lens and viewpoint. For more see : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212657138786718
- And for a movie about a group of 4 South African documentary war photographers Greg Marinovich (Ryan Phillippe), Kevin Carter (Taylor Kitsch), Ken Oosterbroek (Frank Rautenbach) and Joao Silva (Neels Van Jaarsveld), don’t miss The Bang Bang Club at The Bioscope at Main Street Life 1, 2, 4 August. Also showing at Cinema Nouveau at Rosebank Mall.