At the September Joburg Art Fair
I saw some of Diane Victor’s latest smoke drawings at the Joburg Art Fair in September. Well-known for her extraordinary drawing technique, these were just amazing. Imagine drawing using the smoke from a candle. She has to work fast and complete the image all in one sitting.
Ashes to Ashes and Smoke to Dust
So I am really looking forward to Diane’s major show in 2 parts at the University of Johannesburg. Ashes to Ashes and Smoke to Dust opens on 16th November at 6.30 for 7 pm. The first part of the exhibition will focus on her smoke drawings on glass and paper while the second part explores the potential of book ash as a drawing material.
- Exhibition Opening Wednesday 16 November at 18:30 for 19:00 – The guest speaker for the opening event is Bronwyn Law-Viljoen.
- Artist’s Walkabout Saturday, 19 November 2011 at 11:00 – Diane Victor will be available for the morning, providing insight into the method and thought process involved in her work. A short film by photographer Paul Mills documenting the recent work of the artist will also be shown.
- Gallery Reopens Wednesday, 4 January 2012 at 09:00 – The second part of the exhibition is unveiled.
- Book Launch Saturday, 21 January 2012 at 11:00 – This will be the official launch of the second publication on Diane Victor to be produced by David Krut Publishing. Following this, there will be an informal discussion panel with Diane Victor.
- Closing Ceremony Wednesday, 25 January 2012 at 18:00 – Diane Victor will be present to sign books