Rooftop venues are all the rage in Jozi
Which comes first – the chicken or the egg? In the case of the built environment it is surely the buildings which must precede the functional possibilities they offer. So as the supply of high rise inner city developments has increased, so the demand for a venue with a view has grown. And there is no shortage of these rooftop venues in Joburg.
Randlords in Braamfontein
- One of my favourites is Randlords in Braamfontein located on the 22nd floor of South Point Towers. The indoor space is enclosed with glass allowing clear views:
- over the railway lines and Joburg CBD to the mine dumps in the south and Soweto in the west
- over the urban forests of the Parktown Ridge to Sandton
- and, on a clear day, the Magaliesberg in the north
- and over Braamfontien and Hillbrow towards Kensington in the east.
- There is also a fabulous 360º open air deck.
Randlords can accommodate 120 seated and up to 450 for cocktails. For more information, visit www.randlords.co.za or tel +27 (0)11 489 1930.
- Also in Braamfontein and in the Southpoint stable is Skyline Gardens – a private rooftop garden and bar. Again it offers great outdoor eating area. Enjoy the views of Nelson Mandela Bridge and the iconic Hillbrow Tower. tel +27 (0)11 489 1930.
- Further to the east in the Maboneng Precinct is Main Street Life Rooftop Bar on the 7th Floor of the 12 Decades Hotel at 286 Fox St. Great to visit after the Arts on Main Sunday market when there are chilled afternoon music sessions. tel +27 (0)11 026 -5601.
- Private Practice is a privately run independent venue on the 18th and 19th floors of the Lister Medical Building, 195 Jeppe Street. Jtel +27 (0)83 561 8536.