Open fireplaces as always thanks to email@example.com
- Genre: Winter warmers
- What: Hot chocolate, heated blankets, ugg boots, hot tubs and blazing fires are all we need this winter – Joburg is properly cold. To get through the winter blues, out the house and all ‘fired-up’ we’re directing you toward the warmer nooks of the city. Whether you’re dining or drinking always request to be seated as close to the blaze as possible.
- FiftyTwo review: Our seven warmest establishments are listed below with reference to the type of evening you could plan for:
Wombles – boma styled outdoor fire – colonial feel. A celebratory spoil
La Campagnola – lounge bar – intimate atmosphere. First date
Casalinga – roaring fires throughout the restaurant. A romantic evening
The Glass Cage – arty venue with a central fireplace. A night out with friends
The Polo Bar – chic lounge – room with a view. Bring along the out-of-towners
Southern Sun Hyde Park – stylishly intimidating – hot. A Friday night rendezvous
The Library Melrose Arch – classic and refined. A whiskey drinking, cigar smoking occasion
- Tip: Follow the 7-day weather forecast here to book your winter warmer – chilly nights are about, just look for the coldest of them all.
- Interesting fact: Putting a marshmallow into leaping flames will usually set it on fire. Holding it over low coals will caramelise it to a nice golden brown. Yum.
- Where: Please see below
- Book: Wombles – 17 3rd Avenue, Parktown North – 011 880 2473
La Campagnola – Corner Hobart and Grosvenor Roads, Bryanston – 011 463 4199
Casalinga – Plot 328 Rocky Ridge Road, Muldersdrift – 087 941 1223
The Glass Cage – 1 Beverley Road, Auckland Park – 082 774 4902
The Polo Bar – The Westcliff, 67 Jan Smuts Avenue – 011 481 6000
Southern Sun Hyde Park – 1st Road, Hyde Park – 011 341 8080
Melrose Arch Hotel – 1 Melrose Square, Melrose Arch
This week’s pick: