Picks of the Week
- The highlight has to be ‘The concert’ on 13th Feb. For those like me without tickets, eat your hearts out that you’ll be missing the event of the year – U2 on Sunday night at Soccer City stadium.
- For the adrenalin junkies the Orlando Cooling Towers in Soweto is open for night bungee jumping tonight 12th Feb (R400 a jump). I’m sure all 40 jumps are sold out but you can check on 011 312-0450’ 071 674 4343
- There are two great new markets on this week-end. The Saturday morning Jozi Food Market has now moved to a great location at 4th Ave/Braeside Rd,Parkhurst. And in case you are having market withdrawal symptoms, on Sunday Arts On Main is host to an amazing new market – billed as Johannesburg’s answer to the Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town.
- The extraordinary collection of African Art held by Wits Art Museum has been in storage pending the construction of the new gallery building due to open later this year.
- But some of the prize objects are currently on display in an exhibition entitled ‘Other Views’ showing at the Origins Centre.
- And there are several great art exhibitions – take a ride down to 7th Parktown North to Gallery Momo to see ‘Sartorial Moments and the Nearness of Yesterday’ by Nigerian photographer J.D. Okhai Ojeikere. Well known for his documentation of amazing Nigerian hairstyles of the 60s and 70s, in this exhibition the curators have taken works which record the fashions of the later independence era.
Have recommended to young guests staying here at Liz at Lancaster to spend part of their Sunday going to the market at Arts on Main.