LOCATION OF SOCCER TEAMS 2010 WORLD CUP
Because of the advantage of training at high altitude, Gauteng is definitely favoured.
- The Australian team – the Socceroos –will base themselves at the Kloofzicht Lodge in the Zwartkops Mountains between Johannesburg and Pretoria. About a 45 minutes drive from both cities, they will be close to the Cradle of Humankind. For training, they will use the upgraded Wayne Joubert Field at St Stithian’s Collegein Randburg.
- England’s Three Lions made a special arrangement with Royal Bafokeng Sports of Rustenburg, securing a base camp there which is being purpose-built for them. Their facilities will cost 20m pounds. But while the facilities are getting into shape, England’s coach Fabio Capello has voiced dissatisfaction with the pitch quality of the practice fields. Once those are upgraded, the Three Lions should be set.
- It is also appears that the Argentinean squad has chosen Pretoria as its base camp.
- Germany has chosen nearby Centurion
- Italy and the United States both seem to be vying for the Irene Country Lodge located between Johannesburg and Pretoria. W
- The Ghanaian Black Stars have chosen the small town of Nelspruit for their base camp. At altitude, and close to their initial games in Pretoria, Rustenburg and Johannesburg, Nelspruit should provide a pleasant setting for the team to shine.
- The Japanese Blue Samurai will base themselves at the Fancourt Hotel & Country Club in the Garden Route city of George.
- Paraguay has also decided to stay close to the coast, also on the Garden Route, taking residence at The Point Hotel in Mossel Bay.
- Brazil has opted for Bloemfontein
With only 8 definites, the majority still have to make up their minds. (Info taken from Capetownmagazine.com)