BUYING ART AND ARTEFACTSMost Galleries are closed Sundays and Mondays. For up-to-date news in the local arts scene go to www.artslink.co.za; The Mail and Guardian has an arts section in its Friday Supplement.
Inner City Studio CollectivesThere is a further exciting development of previously abandoned buildings in Joburg inner city being taken over by artist collectives who establish their studios in a communal context. These initiatives are all in quite gritty parts of town, so it is advised to go with a local. Once a year these studios are opened to the public in an artfair weekend. There are links here to the various studios which took part in Open Studios 2023. These studios are worth visiting as there is some incredible work being produced by these artists – a great way to start collecting.
The "Art Strip" in Parkwood and Parktown North:
- Goodman Gallery 51 Chester Rd cr Jan Smuts Ave 011 788 1113 www.goodman-gallery.com
- A real must-do is Kim Sacks Gallery for exquisite African art and artefacts. (even if just to look!) www.kimsacksgallery.com 153 Jan Smuts 011 447 5804
- David Krut 140 Jan Smuts Ave 011 880 4242 Excellent publisher of local contemporary art books as well as running a very good print studio www.davidkrutartpublishing.com
- Everard Read 6 Jellicoe Ave Rosebank 011 788 6805 www.everard-read.co.za
- Circa which is linked to the Everard Read and is across the road; a must see contemporary gallery space. If you can, don't miss the view from the top floor
- Art Africa, Parkview 62 Tyrone Ave Parkview (very good selection of ethnic artefacts and gifts; really great stuff) 011 486 2052
- Amatuli regularly gets shipments in of artefacts from countries to the north of us in Africa. www.amatuli.co.za 6 Desmond Street, Kramerville JOHANNESBURG t+27 11 440 5065. Opening times Mon-Fri 8.30-5.30; Sat 9.00-2.00; Every Sunday 10.00-2.00
- Great for reasonable entry level collectors: Artist Proof Studios founded by Kim Berman and Nhlanhla Xaba in 1991, is an Art Education Centre that specializes in printmaking. they hold regular exhibitions of their artists’ works which sell for very affordable prices. Several artists who trained at Artist’s Proof Studios have gone on to exhibit internationally. They are currently at 1 Harrow Court - 1st Floor, Isle of Houghton, 36 Boundary Road, Houghton Estate.
For details of further galleries see A QUICK GUIDE TO JOBURG’S MAIN ART GALLERIES