Eating out near Liz at LancasterThere is a huge variety of eateries in Joburg with each neighbourhood having its local favourites. Although there are 2 websites where you can find restaurants' details and reviews:
Local is lekker: eating out in Craighall Park and neighbouring suburbs
At the end of the block, in Lancaster Village, a five minute walk is the excellent Dolci Café - is a fabulous laid back pavement café with delicious authentic Italian cooking. It’s licensed and opens Monday to Saturday from breakfast to dinner; Sunday closed in the evening and closed all day Monday +27 10 900 2274
There are several excellent restaurants close to Liz at Lancaster all in Craighall Park or neighbouring Dunkeld West.
- Cnr Café - Corner Buckingham and Rothesay Aves 2 and a half blocks away; closed Sundays evenings 011 880-2244 Excellent food and nice outside pavement venue and of course very convenient . Consistently voted one of Joburg’s best neighbourhood restaurants
- DW 11-13 in the Dunkeld West shopping centre is one of only 3 Gauteng restaurants to make it into the top 20 restaurants nationwide Eating Out awards. We have regular foodie guests who come all the way from Pretoria to have a a meal at DW 11-13. Dunkeld West Shopping Centre Cnr Jan Smuts Ave and Bompas Rd +27 11 325 2843 www.dw11-13.co.za Open daily lunch and dinner daily except Sunday evening and Mondays.
- 10 Bompas Rd is a 5 star boutique hotel which has a superb restaurant WineHouse which gets its name from a painting of pop singer Amy Winehouse and is also named for an extensive wine collection. Check their changing menu here. They also host a monthly jazz lunch. Booking recommended 011 325 2442
- The Royale at 357 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park next to The St. Albans Centre. It’s colourful and stylish and very retro – based on the Pre-Castro Cuban era. There are giant palms, fab tropical wallpaper and a great courtyard at the back. It’s the new cool place for a cocktail or a delicious Cuban style meal. The Royale is open, from 11:00 till 23:00 Wednesday through Saturday and on Sundays between 11:00 and 19:00
- Founders-Giles - Has become a very popular meeting place, especially on Thursday evenings and for those TGIF evenings after work - either in the pub or to have a meal out on the deck. Congenial home fare. 011 442 4056
- Pronto At the nearby Colony Centre; Outstanding Italian menu with tables outdoors; great pastas. 011 447 4346; Open every day for lunch dinner except closed Sunday and Monday evening
- Also at the Colony is Hodges a relaxed outdoor café and coffee bar which is a great summer venue for lunches and evening meals. In winter it's warm and toasty inside with the wonderful aroma of coffee and baked goodies. They make a great Sunday lunch roast. Highly recommended +27 11 880 5010
- Also in the Colony is an Indian restaurant Red Chilli Spice which serves North Indian dishes +27 11 447 8386
- Possoms on Burnside - 6 Burnside Ave Craighall Park Owner run and located in a converted home, enjoy a small seasonal menu in a tranquil environment with low noise levels. Open Tuesday to Saturday; Sundays Lunch only. Need to book in advance for evenings. +27 11 326-3970
- Modo Mio - 339 Jan Smuts Ave Good Italian fare, reasonably priced with an affordable R40 a bottle corkage fee. Open Monday to Sunday +27 79 343 6729
- Also at 339 Jan Smuts is Soul Souvlakia. Great Greek food to takeaway.
- If you’re staying at Liz at Lancaster with children then Delta Café is a must. Located next to the garden nursery and on the edge of Delta Park, it has a small playground which is ideal for younger kids and a great menu for kids including boiled eggs with soldier toast!! If you just want to chill in a quiet laid-back outdoor environment there’s lots of choice on the menu for adults. They recently built a wonderful deck area overlooking the park – great place to have drink and watch the sunset. Plus they have now opened for supper. Closed Monday. It’s only a 5 block walk from Liz at Lancaster.
- Also AJ’s in the Park is very child friendly so parents can kick back and enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with a pizza or hamburger. Wonderful neighbourhood laid back cheap and cheerful. 33 Abercorn Ave 074 959 7184
More on Eating Out
- Indian and Chinese cuisine in Joburg Read here
- Restaurants for those special occasions Read here
- Sushi and fish restaurants Read here
- Local vegeterian eateries Read here