Eating out near Liz at LancasterThere is a huge variety of eateries in Joburg with each neighbourhood having its local favourites. Although there are 2 websites where you can find restaurants' details and reviews:
Local is lekker: eating out in Craighall Park and neighbouring suburbs
At the end of the block, in Lancaster Village, a five minute walk is the excellent Dolci Café - is a fabulous laid back pavement café with delicious authentic Italian cooking. It’s licensed and opens Monday to Saturday from breakfast to dinner; Sunday closed in the evening and closed all day Monday +27 10 900 2274
There are several excellent restaurants close to Liz at Lancaster all in Craighall Park or neighbouring Dunkeld West.
- Cnr Café - Corner Buckingham and Rothesay Aves 2 and a half blocks away; closed Sundays evenings 011 880-2244 Excellent food and nice outside pavement venue and of course very convenient . Consistently voted one of Joburg’s best neighbourhood restaurants
- 10 Bompas Rd is a 5 star boutique hotel which has a superb restaurant WineHouse which gets its name from a painting of pop singer Amy Winehouse and is also named for an extensive wine collection. Check their changing menu here. They also host a monthly jazz lunch. Booking recommended 011 325 2442
- The Royale at 357 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park next to The St. Albans Centre. It’s colourful and stylish and very retro – based on the Pre-Castro Cuban era. There are giant palms, fab tropical wallpaper and a great courtyard at the back. It used to be the cool place for a cocktail or a delicious Cuban style meal (don’t know if it still is!). The Royale is open, from 11:00 till 23:00 Wednesday through Saturday and on Sundays between 11:00 and 19:00
- Founders-Giles - Has become a very popular meeting place, especially on Thursday evenings and for those TGIF evenings after work - either in the pub or to have a meal out on the deck. Congenial home fare. 011 442 4056
- Pronto At the nearby shopping centre, The Woods. Outstanding Italian menu with tables outdoors; great pastas. 011 447 4346; Open every day for lunch dinner except closed Sunday and Monday evening. They have recently opened a 'sister' restaurant across the open parking area - Liberte. It’s a very different vibe "celebrating life, femininity and connection" and an emphasis on French food.
- AJ’s in the Park is very child friendly so parents can kick back and enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with a pizza or hamburger. Wonderful neighbourhood laid back cheap and cheerful. 33 Abercorn Ave 074 959 7184
- Red Chamber is tucked away on the lowest floor and while the space is a bit dark with heavy brown furniture Mandarin style food is really good. Open every day except Monday 011 325 6048
- Browse around the wonderful Exclusive Books and then relax in Olives and Plates which is attached to Exclusive. Elegant setting and a wonderful view over northern Joburg with huge glass floor to ceiling windows and a choice of scrumptious dishes. Closed Sunday evenings Walk-ins for breakfast and lunch but advisable to book for dinner.
- Le Parc Tashas is a very popular bistro café offering good standard bistro fare. Tasha started with one restaurant and now has restaurants across South Africa.
More on Eating Out
- Indian and Chinese cuisine in Joburg Read here
- Restaurants for those special occasions Read here
- Sushi and fish restaurants Read here
- Local vegeterian eateries Read here