Entertainment & NightlifeFor daily updates of what's on in Jozi you can go to to http://www.strictlytickets.com/strictlytickets or www.computicket.com or websites mentioned below.
- The two 'doyens' of Joburg Theatres are the newly branded Joburg Theatre Complex and the Market Theatre
- Joburg Theatre Complex in Loveday St, Braamfontein, comprises 4 theatre spaces: The Mandela, capacity of 1000; The Fringe seats 250 ; The Peoples, seats 175 ; and space.com an alternative variable 'black box' space. 011 877 6800 www.joburgtheatre.com . Most of the extravaganza shows are held at the Mandela Theatre although some are staged at the much theatres of the Fringe or the Peoples. There is a restaurant called Stages. You need to make reservations for the evenings +27 11 877 6847.
- Market Theatre Complex. Achieving international recognition in the 1980s as the theatre of the struggle, the theatre opened in 1976. There are also several theatres in this complex: The Main theatre; the Laager and the Barney Simon For what's up and coming see www.markettheatre.co.za 011 832-1641 or 082 381 0663/4/5.
- Teatro Montecasino, Fourways is a private independent theatre owned by Pieter Toerien, one of South Africa's foremost theatre impresarios. Set in the completely 'faux' Tuscan village (hotel, casino and shopping mall) there are 2 theatres in the complex - the Main Theatre known as the Teatro which stages popular musicals as well as some Broadway hits such as Cats and the Lion King and the Studio Theatre where comedy farces and more intimate theatre are the usual fare 011 511- 1988 www.montecasinotheatre.co.za
- Old Mutual Theatre on the Square, Mandela Square 011 883-8606 (next to Sandton City) is another independent theatre (with sponsorship from the banking giant Old Mutual). Typically stages excellent productions: local comedies, musical revues as well as some very good drama. www.theatreonthesquare.co.za
- The Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City attracts a mainstream audience wanting slapstick comedy and popular musical reviews. 011 248- 5000 www.goldreefcitycasino.co.za
- There are two Barnyard theatres, one in Cresta (011 280-4370) and one at Broadacres in Fourways (011 467-6983). Here one ideally goes along in a party of friends taking supper in a picnic basket as there are long wooden tables arranged around the stage. The shows tend to be popular family entertainment musicals. www.barnyardtheatres.co.za.
For more alternative theatre and live entertainment
- POPart (standing for People of Performing Art) is an independent Johannesburg based theatre, production company and performing arts centre which provides a platform for new work by both emerging and established performing artists. Based at 44 Stanley Ave. For what’s on see http://www.popartcentre.co.za/theatre/book-tickets
- Wits Theatre, Wits University. Based on the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) East campus, the complex consists of the Wits Downstairs Theatre, The Wits Amphitheatre and the Wits Main Theatre. Have excellent avant-garde often unpublicized productions as well as old classics like Chekov and Shakespeare.
- Dance Factory at 1 Goch St in the Newtown Cultural Precinct 011 833 1347. There are often performances of both local and international dancers - mostly modern contemporary. Poorly advertised, the best way to find out what's on is to check the Mail and Guardian weekly arts and entertainment supplement.
Jazz and Chilled Live MusicFor live music you could check what’s on offer at
- Katzy’s in Rosebank - www.katzys.co.za. Lots of cigars and expensive whisky
- The Radium Beer Hall in Orange Grove (grittier part of town) is one of the oldest surviving bars in Johannesburg with ‘old style bar’ character (don’t expect contemporary chic!) and basic Portuguese fare. Live jazz gigs www.theradium.co.za. Lots of pony-tailed baby boomers!!