Transport & Car Rental
Getting around JoburgJoburg is very spread out with no single city centre but rather a number of different centres and neighbourhoods. Please see my blog on "Where the city centre is .. or isn't"! Fortunately Craighall Park is very centrally located for easy access to the central suburbs and areas of Rosebank, Sandton, Randburg and Joburg Central.
OPTIONS INSTEAD OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTEffective public transport for visitors to Johannesburg is virtually non-existent. But there are various ways around this:
- Use our Liz at Lancaster on-site transport with Mr.T.
- Load the Uber app while still at home (it’s often funny about taking a “foreign” credit card when in South Africa. Also if at home you will have IT back-up to help you if you need help.
- Contact various designated cab drivers whom we have worked with for many years
- For the most significant Joburg tourist sites the Red City Bus is an ideal option.
- From OR Tambo International Airport the Gautrain is safe fast efficient and means that you will never be caught in a highway traffic jam.
ON-SITE TRANSPORTTagala Mlalazi (aka Mr. T.) who works at Liz at Lancaster is a registered transport provider and is available for on-site transport and airport transfers. If you want an airport collection please email me prior to arrival with flight details. He will collect you in the Arrivals hall which is always reassuring when arriving in a strange city.
We have kept the rates on a par with Uber. When here please ask Tagala for his business card so that, if away from the guesthouse, you can get hold of him to make arrangements. On his days off however it would be useful to be able to use UBER so we suggest you download the UBER app as per below.
Rates of on-site transport
(Subject to change due to fluctuating rising petrol prices and the introduction of toll road costs). Also (as with Uber) rates are dependent on traffic.
- Airport collection (one-way) for up to 2 people - R450 Plus R30; Per extra person - R50 Dunkeld and the Colony Centre - R30
- Wanderers, Rosebank including Gautrain Station - R60
- Sandton, Wits, Braamfontein - R80
- Johannesburg Central & Newtown - R90
- Arts on Main, Maboneng - R100
- Apartheid Museum, Monte Casino, Sunninghill & Woodmead - R185
Any trips over 30 km are charged are R12.00 per km. If Tagala Mr T. waits then there is a R70 per hour waiting charge. So for example a half day excursion to Lesedi (10.30 to 2.30) would be R280 plus R12.00 X 84 kms= R1008; a total of R1280. And the Cradle of Humankind for a full day trip of 6 hours and approx 100km would be R1620.
We can arrange a tour guide for Pilanesberg and Sun City usually from R1500 per person for 2 or more; rate does not include meals and entrance fees; single rate by arrangement.
JOHANNESBURG TAXI SERVICES: UBERApart from using Liz at Lancaster services, the most cost effective and efficient option is Uber. See Liz's blog on Uber transport. For many international guests, Uber will be familiar to you.
You will need a Smart phone to download the Uber app. If you have data or airtime then, when loaded, this App will put you in touch with the nearest available Uber car, take payment via credit card, and enable you to check your route and to receive reliable arrival times.
Note always choose the UBER X option
When you want to get a cab please choose the Uber X option (lower-cost) unless you really need a high end make of car (Uber Black) - or a van for 8 people. Enter your pick up and drop off points and request a cost estimate. Because the nearest cab is sent, the Uber usually arrives very quickly. You will get the driver’s name and photo. You can track the driver’s progress on the Google maps that will come up on your phone.
When your ride is over, Uber debits your account. Uber can raise rates at peak periods, (usually Friday and Saturday evenings) something it calls “surge pricing”, to ensure more drivers are on the roads at those times. Cost may also vary dependent on traffic delays – hence the estimate you are given.
DESIGNATED CAB DRIVERSThere are NO roaming taxis that can be 'hailed' from the roadside. Although locals use mini-bus taxis, these are largely unregulated and require too much local knowledge to be used by visitors. Except for outside hotels, and outside the Gautrain Stations, there is nowhere you can hail a taxi in the street. And these taxis overcharge, are often not metered, and often do not carry or refer to maps – so rather use one of these designated cab drivers. Both cab drives below are excellent. Just say you are from Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse.
- Abey +27 (0) 82 979 5589 or 071 341 8301
- Alfred +27 (0) 72 300 9468
RED CITY BUS HOP-ON HOP-OFFThis is an ideal way to get an overview of the city. I often recommend either:
- a 2 day pass (the tour alone without getting off takes 3 and a half hours). Some sites like the Apartheid Museum require about 3 hours, as would Soweto, and Constitution Hill requires at least 2 hours. So if you want to get a good sense spread it over 2 days. OR
- Take a one-day ticket and then take a separate Soweto tour.
GAUTRAIN FROM THE AIRPORT (AND TO PRETORIA FROM ROSEBANK)For a single person the Gautrain is a very practical way of getting from the airport from Liz at Lancaster. It is fast, safe, clean and efficient. See for the latest schedule but NB Please check that there is not a more updated one.
- Weekdays Peak periods 05h20 to 21h00 | 16h00 to 19h00 Every 12 mins
- Weekdays off peak 08h30 to 16h00 | 19h00 to 20h30 every 20 mins
- Weekends: every 30 mins
Cost (as of May 2019)
- Cost from OR Tambo is R158 per person plus R16 for the Gautrain card
- To collect from Sandton is R80 for the trip
- Time of train trip is 12 minutes
- Cost to OR Tambo is R170 per person plus R16 for the Gautrain card
- To collect from Rosebank is R60
- Time of train trip is 16 minutes but need to change trains at Sandton
Transfer: from the Gautrain station (Rosebank or Sandton) to Liz at Lancaster. Phone (by prior arrangement); Gaubuses operate between Sandton and Rosebank weekdays only. Gautrain to Rosebank or to Sandton
In peak hour traffic (7.30 – 9.30 am and 3.30 to 6.30 pm) we recommend that you change at Sandton and go to Rosebank station.
- Rosebank is closer to Liz at Lancaster than Sandton.
- There are really bad traffic snarl-ups in Sandton
- Uber drivers wait outside the Alexander Forbes entrance in West St Sandton rather than directly outside the Gautrain Station (because of pressure from "metered" taxis).